Problems during playback?
We’ll agree on a price with you, because it always depends on what is broken.
There are two reasons for this: Either the contents of the memory card have got mixed up, or the remains of leaking batteries affect the electronics. (In this case: Problems with leaking batteries?)
- To compare problems with the memory card, you can use another suitable memory card, for example, or you can first back up all the contents of your hörbert card with the on-board resources of your computer: Simply copy all the contents of the memory card into a folder on your computer. You can use this backup later. Tip: The hörbert software can create a table of contents on page “2”, which you can save on your computer with the files on the memory card.
- The easiest way to”repair” a messed up memory card is to format it and reload it.
- Start the hörbert software on the computer, and check if you have the latest version (at the left of the bottom of page “1”: “Search for newer hörbert software”). If necessary, install the latest software while you’re at it.
- If you now insert your memory card into the computer and select it in the hörbert software, you can format the card with the “memory card tools”. Attention: By formatting all data on the memory card will be deleted irretrievably! Be especially careful not to select another drive of your computer or that may be plugged into your computer.
- After formatting, you can reload the card with the hörbert software as usual. As a test, it is enough to play 2-3 songs on each playlist to test the card. If you want to try again with your previous content, simply copy your backup copy from your computer back to the card.
Attention: This tip does not apply to hörberts with a Bluetooth module. Please do not jiggle the switch if your hörbert has a built-in Bluetooth module.
hörbert has a very stable on/off switch. The manufacturer of the switch inserts a little grease into the switch. If this accumulates in the wrong place, this effect may occur. But that’s no problem: Just turn the switch on and off at least 50 times really fast and really energetically, then the grease splashes and the problem is solved.
Background knowledge: In a lamp the fat would simply go up in smoke with a spark, but there is no such amount of energy in hörbert. Therefore you may have to help mechanically. You can switch back and forth really powerfully and quickly, the switch tolerates it: We have deliberately chosen an oversized switch that resists playing children.
No, don’t worry. He just is out of power. Simply replace the batteries by new or charged ones (in case they are rechargeable batteries), then hörbert will play again normally.
If hörbert remains mute after switching on, simply check the following in this order
- Is the device switched on? (Toggle switch to the rear and back to the front)
- Is the volume turned up? (Turn the knob all the way to the right for testing)
- Now, if you put your ear to the speaker at full volume: Do you hear a very quiet rhythmic chirping? (Then please keep trying One hears only soft rhythmic noises)
- Are the batteries dead? Please insert a completely new set of 4 identical batteries from the same fresh pack. If necessary, please try a new pack again, because it often happened that an empty cell crept in when changing or the batteries from the supermarket were already empty when buying.
- Are the batteries in contact? Please check that all battery clamps touch the metallic ends of the front and rear batteries and, if necessary, slightly bend the front and rear contact springs inwards when the battery is removed.
If this is not successful, please try again hörbert cannot be switched on or turns on or off spontaneously?
- Please insert a completely fresh set of new batteries or full batteries first, because even a poor power supply can be noticed by a croaking sound.
- Then we should exclude that it is only a loose screw, or that only the rear wall vibrates, because it should be tightened, for example. Therefore, please remove the sliding cover first. Then listen to the device at full volume with the rear panel open, whether it is still vibrating.
Is the problem still there?
- If yes, please try by laying it on the speaker grille by hand, whether it lies only on the speaker grille or the wooden frame on the speaker grille (and one of the 4 screws may be too loose there).
If you have a loose screw, you can tighten it yourself with feeling. This problem can be caused by differences in humidity and temperature when the wood”works” (expands or contracts slightly). Is the problem still there?
- If so, please place your hand on all keys at the same time and listen.
If the keys are the problem and vibrate we can send you a “little helper”, which you can install yourself, for this you have to remove the electronics of your hörbert, attach the little helper and screw the electronics back in. No problem for experienced hobbyists… If you prefer that we do the small repair, please contact our support before you send us your hearing.
Could it be that you are using an extra fast Class10 card or faster? Some of these cards can have this effect. These cards perform internal clean-up or sorting functions at irregular intervals, but these disturb the data stream. That’s why the whole thing can’t be determined by a song or a playback time, the small microprocessor in the card sometimes does”its own thing”. Please test it, if possible, with a smaller/older/slower card (e.g. Class 4 or 6), then the problem should not occur. Tip: If possible use Class4 SDHC cards between 4 and 32GB. Our included cards are “Class 4” cards, recognisable by a 4 in circular “C”.
As long as the decorated part is not broken, we’ll replace only other parts and you’ll get your own hörbert back, of course.
You might want to replace the handle, the loudspeaker, the on/off switch and the volume knob yourself. That’s okay, if you have the know-how and the tools to perform such a repair. If you don’t, contact us, so you can send your hörbert in for a repair.
When batteries leak, you will find traces of battery chemistry on the electronics (circuit board). You must cleanly remove these traces in order to get your hörbert back in shape.
Cleaning after leaking batteries:
Important safety instructions
Take care of your safety and that of your surroundings in the following activities! Only work with safety glasses! Only work with protective gloves! Don't touch anything else with your gloves on! Work with an open window and sufficient fresh air supply! Do not work near flames or ignition sources! Keep chemicals and tools away from children! This manual does not apply to other devices! Leave the repair to us, if you don't think you can take a step! Risk of injury: splashes of alcohol or battery chemistry in the eyes may cause serious eye injury. In the event of an accident, consult a doctor immediately. Fires may occur when working with high-proof alcohol. Have extinguishing agent ready. Alcohol can dry out your skin, so wear gloves! And again: Keep children away from chemicals and tools!
And so it goes:
- Pull the memory card out of the memory card holder. Check the contacts on the memory card. It may need to be replaced when it has received battery chemistry. You can try cleaning them with alcohol.
- Remove the electronics by loosening the 4 nuts on the board. Lift up the board and disconnect all 3 cables.
- Find all traces of battery chemistry on the top AND bottom of the board. You’ll need to clean it very carefully to stop the corrosion.
- Use plenty of isopropyl alcohol 70% (e.g. from the pharmacy): Drip the alcohol abundantly on all places where you find traces of battery chemistry. Soak everything. If the alcohol evaporates, drip more of it onto the board, even into the memory card holder.
- Use your toothbrush to scrupulously remove all traces of battery chemistry. Cotton swabs can also help. Important: NEVER scratch! Because if you scratch a trace or destroy a small component, it is very likely that the board is finally broken.
- When everything is clean, let the alcohol evaporate for an hour. Never use the electronics in wet condition.
- Now you can plug all cables back in where they were, insert the board again and screw it tight.
- Now insert the batteries and the memory card again and switch on audibly. Don’t forget to breathe.
Yes. Small defects or scratches can even be removed with a fine sandpaper. The best way to repair major damage is to replace the affected parts so that stable and safe operation can be restored afterwards. For larger repairs you can send us your hörbert by prior arrangement. A complete housing replacement (i.e. replacement of the frame and the front using all your intact hörbert parts) can only be carried out in our workshop, as we can also carry out any necessary minor repairs – at the previously agreed flat-rate price, of course.
Concerning the Bluetooth module
Due to the very high power consumption of these cards, the Bluetooth module may generate noise in the standard playback mode.
This does not happen with our supplied cards. We therefore recommend the use of the original hörbert memory card, so your hörbert will run longer.
A Transcend card tested by us (16 GB Class 10) had a much higher power consumption than our original cards.
This is of course bad for the runtime.
If you don’t want to do without your memory card, please contact our support team (firstname.lastname@example.org), because we can also upgrade your hörbert board for a small service fee if you wish, so that even such power-hungry memory cards can be operated almost without noise.
Note: Unfortunately, we cannot make any valid functional statements for third-party cards, as the manufacturing methods and what is installed inside are constantly changing. We purchase our own memory cards directly from the manufacturer according to our specifications.
- Please check the following first: Does hörbert play normally in standard hörbert mode via its built-in speaker when you switch it on? If so, the module has at least been installed correctly.
- If you want to use hörbert as a Bluetooth speaker, you have to switch it on and off immediately.
IMPORTANT: please leave hörbert switched off and DO NOT switch it on again. Now the inside LED display of the Bluetooth module flashes twice per second and a beep sounds to indicate that hörbert is now in Bluetooth speaker mode.
You now have one minute to find hörbert in the list of Bluetooth devices on your phone and pair it with your phone.
You can start a playlist on your phone to play it via hörbert.
- The phone shows a connection to hörbert, but the playlist is not played via hörbert, but via the phone.
— Proactively remove hörbert from the list of Bluetooth playback devices in your phone (e.g. by using the command “Ignore this device”) and let the phone search for your hörbert again and pair with it.
— Is there a setting directly in the app on your phone that ensures that the phone is used as the playback device and does not listen? If you are not sure, check the information on your phone. Our service team will also be happy to help you. Contact.
- Does another Bluetooth device “grab” the connection to your mobile phone? For example, switched on Bluetooth headphones, a Smartwatch, a tablet or the neighbor’s device? Please disconnect these devices and/or go to another location first.
The first pairing of headphones with hörbert can take a minute, especially when there are many other Bluetooth devices nearby.
The headphone mode only searches for hörbert headphones in the first 60 seconds after switching on hörbert. In the headphone mode, the hörberts loudspeaker switches off as soon as the sound is heard in the headphones. If this does not work the first time, it will work the second (or third) time.
Please proceed as follows to find the solution:
- if the headphones work with other Bluetooth devices, they can be switched to
Example successfully pairing with a Bluetooth mobile phone ?
If no: please charge the headphones fully first. If they still do not work, contact the dealer where you bought the headphones. There may be a defect in the headphones and the headphones must be replaced.
If so: go to steps 2 to 6:
- Are switches 5 and 6 (Bluetooth and pairing) activated?
Please do not activate any switches on the “Mouse Piano” of the Bluetooth module unless hörbert is switched off. If switch no. 6 (Pairing) is deactivated, e.g. when hörbert is switched on, under certain conditions all pairings stored by hörbert will be deleted. (See point 220.127.116.11 of our operating instructions for the Bluetooth module).
- Do other Bluetooth-compatible ambient devices possibly try to access the headphones? Please switch off the Bluetooth mode and/or go to another location for all Bluetooth environment devices (e.g. mobile phone, tablet, computer).
- If your headphones have their own volume control, please remember that you may need to turn up the volume here if you cannot hear anything through the headphones. Also, with the hörbert, please make sure that its volume knob is not set to very low.
- if the pairing does not work after one minute, please switch off all devices again and try the process a second or even third time:
- Switch on the headphones. Bluetooth mode the headphones must be activated. Please check for each headphone model whether the corresponding LED indicator is lit correctly or headphones say: Bluetooth/Pairing on.
- Turn on the headphones. The LED of the Bluetooth module must flash twice per second. Now hörbert will search for the headphones for 60 seconds. Please also give him this time before you switch him and the headphones off again and start the process again if it did not work right away.
- If all tips do not work, our service team will be happy to help you. Contact
How can I distinguish between the two hörberts of my children in the list of Bluetooth devices in my mobile phone? Both appear as “hörbert”.
It is possible to change the name of paired devices in your Bluetooth transmitter.
You can find the necessary tips for this under the links below, depending on which device you use:
www.support.apple.com (changing the name of a Bluetooth device):
www.techify.de (rename paired Bluetooth devices on Android): https://link.hoerbert.com/5pUwQ
www.genuine-lamps.com (how to rename Bluetooth devices on windows):
The strength of the electromagnetic radiation depends on the transmitting power of the devices.
The power class of the Hörbert Bluetooth module is class 2, i.e. our Bluetooth connections are all class 2 with a maximum transmission power of 2.5 mW (+4 dBm). The hörbert Bluetooth module thus complies with the recommended SAR maximum values in any case due to the very low transmission power.
That depends on the environment, whether there are obstacles, such as walls… in the way. However, the range can usually be about 15 m.
In hörbert mode you simply listen to the content with your hörbert — as usual. Just switch on your hörbert and it starts playing. Your hörbert will consume a little more power in this mode, and it will therefore not reach its 57-hour runtime (as measured by Stiftung Warentest). This is because the sound has to be looped through the Bluetooth module, which also needs a little power.
This slight buzzing, which is usually only heard in silent moments and only in piano mode, is due to the fact that the sound has to be “looped through” the Bluetooth module.
Noise can be minimized if all cables leading to the Bluetooth module are first twisted together as shown in the installation video and instructions.
Note: The buzzing sound may be amplified when using memory cards other than our original ones, as some cards draw more current than others.
The existing automatic switch-off must be removed to accommodate the Bluetooth module. Unfortunately we do not have enough connectors on the board to mount both additional electronics. Therefore, we have integrated the automatic switch-off in the Bluetooth module, so that the Bluetooth customers don’t have to do without the sleep timer.
If you would like to send us your intact and undamaged automatic switch-off device in exchange, you will receive an exclusive wooden Hörbert memory card socket worth 12.95 EUR. If you are interested, please contact our service team.
You have correctly installed the Bluetooth module if hörbert plays correctly via its own loudspeaker in standard hörbert mode, if you switch it on as usual and if the volume control on hörbert’s rotary control works.
If you order a new hörbert with a BT module as an accessory, we will of course install the Bluetooth module ex works.
For all other cases, an installation video and illustrated installation instructions are available at
For shipping reasons, the Bluetooth module arrives with the fastening nut screwed onto the toggle switch. This nut must be unscrewed prior to installation and then screwed back over the toggle switch at the top of hörbert to secure the module. See instructions.
Yes, we have developed the Bluetooth module as a retrofit option for every hörbert since 2011. No one has to say goodbye to their faithful companion, because every hörbert can be retrofitted.